प्रो. एस गुरुबरन Prof. S. Gurubaran
ऊपरी वायुमण्डल अध्ययन (यूएएस) प्रभाग Upper Atmospheric Studies (UAS) Division
Room No. 211
Indian Institute of Geomagnetism
Plot No. 5, Sector 18, New Panvel
Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra – 410 218
Alternate Email: email@example.com
Phone: +91-22-2748 4227
Fax : +91-22-2748 0762
शैक्षिक रिकॉर्ड Academic Record:
- M.Sc. (Physics with Electronics as special subject), Madras Christian College (Autonomous), Madras, Degree awarded by University of Madras, 1987
- Ph. D. (Physics), Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, Degree awarded by Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 1995
- Won Prof. Jesuratnam Prize for Proficiency in Physics, 1985
- Won the PRL Award in Earth and Planetary Sciences for the year 2005
- Elected Member, International Commission on Middle Atmosphere (ICMA), one of the commissions of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences (IAMAS) of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG), 2007-2011
- Scientific Discipline Representative, Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP), 2008-2012
- Elected Life Fellow, Indian Geophysical Union, 2007
- Member, CAWSES-India-II National Steering Committee, 2009-2013
- Scientific Visitor, High Altitude Observatory, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, USA, 2002-2003
- Associate Visiting Professor, Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan, 2004-2005
- Guest Editor, Special Issue of Journal of Indian Geophysical Union on Equatorial Geomagnetism, 2000
- Guest Editor, Special Issue of Annales Geophysicae on 11th International Workshop on Technical and Scientific Aspects of MST Radar (MST11), 2008
- Guest Editor, Special Issue of Earth, Planets and Space on Coupling Processes in the Equatorial Atmosphere (CPEA), 2009
- Guest Editor, Special Issue of Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics on Structure and Dynamics of Mesosphere-Lower Thermosphere, 2010
- Co-Chair, Working Group 3 (Atmospheric Coupling Processes), CAWSES-India-I (2005-2009)
- Coordinator, Theme 3 (Atmospheric Coupling Processes), CAWSES-India-II
- Coordinator, Satellite for Earth’s Near Space Environment (SENSE) mission
- Summer Member, XX Indian Antarctic Expedition, 2000-2001
- Member, Local Advisory Committee, District Science Centre (National Council of Science Museums, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India), Tirunelveli
- Reviewer for Journal of Geophysical Research-Space Physics, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Geophysical Research Letters, Advances in Space Research, Earth, Planets and Space, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, Journal of Earth System Science, Indian Journal of Radio and Space Physics, Pramana
- Member, American Geophysical Union
कार्यक्षेत्र Research Interests:
- Dynamical coupling of atmospheric regions
- Electrodynamics of equatorial ionosphere
Radio and optical remote sensing tools supplemented by ground-based magnetometer data sets are used in the investigation of dynamical and electrodynamical coupling processes operating in the equatorial middle and upper atmosphere. Another study focuses on understanding what lower and upper atmospheric electrical and electrodynamical processes drive the Earth’s giant global electric circuit (GEC) using a variety of ground-based electrical sensors deployed at Tirunelveli and at Maitri, Antarctica.
Selected Publications in Refereed Journals:
- Gurubaran S., D. Narayana Rao, Geetha Ramkumar, T. K. Ramkumar, Gopa Dutta and B. V. Krishna Murthy, First results from the CAWSES-India Tidal Campaign, Ann. Geophys., 26, 2323-2331, doi:10.5194/angeo-26-2323-2008, 2008.
- Gurubaran S., R. Rajaram, T. Nakamura and T. Tsuda, Interannual variability of diurnal tide in the tropical mesopause region: A signature of the El Nino-Southern Oscillation (ENSO), Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L13805, doi:10.1029/2005GL022928, 2005.
- Gurubaran S., The equatorial counter electrojet: Part of a worldwide current system?, Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, 1337, doi:10.1029/2001GL014519, 2002.
- Gurubaran S., S. Sridharan, T. K. Ramkumar and R. Rajaram, The mesospheric quasi-2-day wave over Tirunelveli (8.7oN), J. Atmos. Solar Terr. Phys., 63, 975-985, doi:10.1016/S1364-6826(01)00016-5, 2001.
- Gurubaran S. and R. Sridharan, Effect of meridional winds and neutral temperatures on the F-layer heights over low latitudes, J. Geophy. Res., 98, 11629-11635, doi:10.1029/92JA02029, 1993.